Thursday, March 29, 2012

Intimidating Crafts

I'm always looking for new things to do.

There's still plenty of things I could/need to learn with knitting, and I DEFINITELY need to up my crochet abilities, and...there's a lot of things I want to do. It's easier than listing it out.

One thing I always admired was resin pendants. If you don't know what that is, do a search on Etsy or DeviantArt. They look like glass, almost, but it's actually a clear epoxy. You can embed things into it, color it, etc. They look amazing.

But then I started reading up on the stuff. The dangers of the fumes, getting it on things, and I have a house with kids and pets. I can't do things dangerous.

But I found this stuff called Easy Cast at Hobby Lobby. It was around $14. And then..well...


Yeah, that happened. Lots of glitter, a mold tray, plastic cups, and stirring sticks.

Now, if you're planning on trying resin, please read up on it. There's a ton of things to read about it on Craftster, or you could do a search about it. There are some precautions to take and there's different mixing ratios for each resin set. Mine is a 1:1 ratio.

So, I threw my fears aside! I was going to conquer the beast!


Fail. To avoid this, I learned that I needed to pour some resin, then lay my object (which happened to be a skull button, OMG HOW CUTE?!) and let the resin set. Then make up another mix of resin, pour some ontop, then add the glitter. *facepalm* Duh.

I finally *kinda* got the hang of it, though.






Once they're fully cured, you sand the excess off along the edges and (can) paint some clear glaze on it to give it a nice shine. You also have the option of buffing it and whatnot.

A lot of factors go into the proper curing of your resin, temperature being one of them. It's kind of insane how much goes into it, but I think the end result is worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment