Friday, February 24, 2012

Gifts Galore!

I'm a huge nut for Christmas. And with money stretched tiiiiiiiight, I had to make it work. My solution.

DIY GIFTS BABAYYYYY!


This was originally supposed to say "GRANDKIDS", but you can see..I ran out of room. Totally misjudged the letter size. The letters, by the way, were traced onto scrapbook paper, then cut out, then applied. Well. The "GRAND" was. The "Life is.." is from cardstock stickers. I painted the once blank wood piece, then added the lettering, then mod podged the whole thing.


Then I painted a bunch of these clothespins. They were painted brown and gold.


And then they were applied to the sign. They're for holding pictures. :)
(Grand)mother-in-law mentioned that there were 5 pictures, and if this was for the grandkids, we needed to pop out another. Bakery is closed, dear. :P


Not too bad, huh?

Ontop of Christmas, it was my sister-in-law's belated birthday. She turned 18 and got her Harry Potter everything day. I'm jealous. Just saying.

She got her Hogwarts letter, a cake like Harry's, and I had to keep with the theme.


I totally made her a Monster Book Of Monsters.

And this was no easy task.


This is the wood book I started with. The spine pulls out and has a little storage tray. Cute, no?


And then I had to cover the thing in faux fur. The fur got EVERYWHERE. I didn't put any on the spine. I have a story for this.


And his eyes. Let me tell you something about his eyes. Those eyes were the worst thing ever. SUCH a pain. Totally worth it. But SUCH a pain.


And then his mouth was made from polymer clay.


So. The story.
He was a very loved and used monster. His spine is completely bald.


This is because of all the children stroking it to open him up.
It probably didn't help that monster pattern baldness ran in his family.
Also, his eyes and mouth are no longer perfectly aligned. The ignorant children dropped him down the many steps at Hogwarts and the injuries caught up with him.

Great way to cover imperfections, huh? Stories FTW!

And in the monster's drawer...


An owl necklace that, yes, I made.

OH. She got another necklace, too, but with her fingerless gloves.


w00t geek love!

Christmas was an all-around success. And now my mother-in-law is requesting her own pair of fingerless gloves.


No comments:

Post a Comment