Sunday, December 25, 2011

Loom Knitting - QUICK REVIEW

First off...

MERRY CHRISTMAS! I also hope you have a wonderful new year!

For Christmas, the kids got a lot of great things. Gabe only got a couple of items, but the girls? They made out like bandits. 

Me? I got the gift of actually having a husband that listens. :)
He made sure to get me knitting needles in sizes that I didn't have, plus Hello Kitty pajama pants that I didn't even ask for. How amazing is he?

He also got me a round loom set by Boye. I've been wanting to try these things for a while, now. 

And as a gift to you, because honestly I can't really hand you a gift, I'm going to do a review on these suckers.


Teehee. Pretty colors. :)

The kit comes with the 4 rings + plastic needle + loom hook. It also has easy to follow directions.
So, I figured I'd start with something simple. I used the blue ring and was going to just make a roll brim hat. 
I started wrapping my yarn around the pegs, as per the directions. Easy peasy.
And then I go to town with the loom hook.
After a few rows, I noticed that my stitches were loose. REALLY loose. I was using the suggested yarn and everything. I'm not sure if it was an issue with me or what, but it wasn't any good. No matter what I did, it was loose. It almost looked like fishnets. You won't stay warm in that, yo.
I also didn't care too much for the idea of not really being able to control the stitch pattern. See, I'm the type of person that searches high and low for new stitch patterns to use, but these looms seem like a one trick pony.
All in all, for the price, they're decent. I think these would be better suited for the girls, but I'm not sure that I'm going to keep the kit. I think I may return it for some new sizes of DPNs or circulars. 

Long story short:

Great for kids (under supervision, because the hook is QUITE pointy), but as an adult knitter, I need more.

No comments:

Post a Comment